For Release May 10, 2002
LOS ANGELES, May 9, 2002 - "Blow," starring Johnny Depp and Penelope Cruz, received the PRISM Award in the Theatrical Feature Film category at the 6th 6th nual PRISM Awards held today at CBS Television City today. Other PRISMs were awarded to ABC's "My Wife and Kids" and "All My Children," Lifetime's "The Division," NBC's "Third Watch," and ABC's "Life With Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows." A PRISM also went to Ozzy Osbourne for his song "Junkie" in the Music Recording or Music Video category, one of two new categories to receive a PRISM this year. Independent films "Acts of Worship" and "Smoke and Mirrors: A History of Denial" were the recipients of the other new category, the PRISM Film Festival Award, which is presented to films that have not yet been released but are playing the festival circuit. In total, 14 winners were selected out of 56 nominees and 236 submissions.
Penelope Cruz presented a special tribute to director Ted Demme as part of the "Blow" feature film nod. Demme's wife Amanda accepted on behalf of the late filmmaker. Radio legend Casey Kasem, the voice of the PRISM Awards, introduced the new music category, and Meredith Brooks performed the song "Shine" from her upcoming album.
Additional presenters included Thora Birch, David Carradine, Erika Christensen, Barbara Eden, Donald Faison, Dennis Leary, Kelly Lynch, Christopher McDonald, Lou Diamond Phillips, Dr. Drew Pinsky, Danny Trejo, Jim Turner, and Julie Warner. The ceremony was taped for national syndication by Tribune Entertainment and will air in August.
The PRISM Awards, which honor the accurate depiction of drug, alcohol, and tobacco use and addiction in television, feature film, music, and comic book entertainment, are presented by the Entertainment Industries Council, Inc. (EIC) in partnership with The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) and the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), a component of the National Institutes of Health.
Recipients of the 6th Annual PRISM Awards were:
THEATRICAL FEATURE FILM
- Blow (New Line Cinema/Apostle Pictures/Spanky Productions)
PRISM FILM FESTIVAL AWARD (tie)
- Acts of Worship (Manifesto Films/Worship Productions)
- Smoke and Mirrors: A History of Denial
TV COMEDY SERIES EPISODE
- My Wife and Kids - "Grassy Knoll" (Touchstone Television/ABC Entertainment)
TV DRAMA SERIES EPISODE
- The Division - "Intervention" (Viacom Productions/Lifetime Television)
TV DRAMA SERIES MULTI-EPISODE STORYLINE
- Third Watch - "Bobby's Death" (Warner Bros. Television/John Wells Prods./NBC Entertainment)
TV DAYTIME DRAMA SERIES EPISODE OR STORYLINE
- All My Children - "Ecstasy and Agony: Laura's Trip" (ABC Daytime)
TV MOVIE, MINISERIES OR DRAMATIC SPECIAL
- Life With Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows (Alliance Atlantis Television/Storyline Entertainment/IN-Motion and GO Movie and TV Productions/ABC Entertainment)
TV CHILDREN'S SERIES EPISODE OR SPECIAL
- In The Mix - "Ecstasy" (Castle Works, Inc./Public Broadcasting Service)
TV DOCUMENTARY OR NEWSMAGAZINE SERIES EPISODE OR SPECIAL
- True Life - "I Can't Breathe" (MTV News & Documentaries/Arnold Worldwide/Massachusetts Department of Public Health/MTV Network)
TV TALK SHOW SERIES EPISODE
- The Ananda Lewis Show - "Clearing the Air: Christy Turlington Talks About Smoking" (King World Productions)
TV BIOGRAPHICAL REALITY SERIES EPISODE OR SPECIAL
- Biography -"Charlie Sheen: Born to Be Wild" (Van Ness Films/Arts & Entertainment Network)
MUSIC RECORDING OR MUSIC VIDEO
- Junkie - Ozzy Osbourne (Epic Records/Sony Music Entertainment)
TV COMMUNITY SERVICE EFFORT
- CBS Cares (CBS Television Network)
PRISM Commendations and Certificates of Merit were given to the remaining nominees and other productions in each category. A complete list can be found at http://www.prismawards.com.
The National Institute on Drug Abuse is a component of the National Institutes of Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. NIDA supports more than 85 percent of the world's research on the health aspects of drug abuse and addiction. The Institute carries out a large variety of programs to ensure the rapid dissemination of research information and its implementation in policy and practice. Fact sheets on the health effects of drugs of abuse and other topics can be ordered free of charge in English and Spanish by calling NIDA Infofax at 1-888-NIH-NIDA (644-6432) or 1-888-TTY-NIDA (889-6432) for the deaf. These fact sheets and further information on NIDA research and other activities can be found on the Home page at http://www.drugabuse.gov.