NIDA produces several publications series that may be of interest to family physicians and their patients. The Research Monograph series is NIDA's primary vehicle for disseminating the newest scientific information. Each monograph is derived from a research review meeting where experts report on state-of-the-art drug abuse research findings, problem areas, and technologies. Recent topics include: cocaine treatment; inhalant abuse; drug abuse among minority youth; and case management of drug abuse. NIDA NOTES is a bimonthly newsletter that presents research in progress, new resources available from the Institute, and general information of interest to practitioners. NIDA also produces public education pamphlets and fact sheets that are used by community groups, individuals, and the press. These materials can be obtained at no cost from the National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information.
- National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Abuse Information (NCADI)
Office for Substance Abuse Prevention
P.O. Box 2345
Rockville, MD 20847-2345
(800) 729-6686 or (301) 468-2600.
- Substance Abuse Librarians and Information Specialists (SALIS)
P.O. Box 9513
Berkeley, CA 94709-0513
- American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM)
4601 North Park Avenue, Upper Arcade, Suite 101
Chevy Chase, MD 20615
- Association for Medical Education and Research in Substance Abuse (AMERSA)
125 Whipple Street, Third Floor, Suite 300
Providence, RI 02908
- CME Course on Prescribing Drugs with Abuse Liability
Sidney Schnoll, M.D., Ph.D., Chair
Division of Substance Abuse Medicine
Medical College of Virginia
Richmond, VA 23298-0109
Self Help Groups and Treatment Information:
Drug Testing in the Workplace:
- Al-Anon, Al-Anon Family Group, Inc.
- Families Anonymous
P.O. Box 3475
Culver City, CA 90231-3475
- Parent Resources and Information for Drug Education (PRIDE)
10 Park Place South, Suite 340
Atlanta, GA 30303
(800) 853-7867 or (404) 577-4500
- Project STAR (Students Taught Awareness and Resistance)
Mary Ann Pentz, Ph.D.
USC Institute of Prevention Research
University of Southern California
1000 S. Fremont Avenue
Alhambra, CA 91803-1358
- Strengthening Families
Karol Kumpfer, Ph.D.
Department of Health Education
University of Utah, HPER-North 215
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112
- Project Reconnect
Leona Eggert, Ph.D.
University of Washington
Department of Psychosocial Nursing, SC-76
Seattle, Washington 98195