Graphics by Vilma Ortiz-Dillon
Contact the Federal organizations listed below for free and confidential information, or visit the consumer information section on the HHS homepage, http://www.hhs.gov/
Drug and Alcohol Information
- National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information
Ask for Keeping Youth Drug-Free and a free catalogue.
- Information and Treatment Referral Line
- For information on the importance of fruits and vegetables in the diet call CIS 1-800-422-6237
Ask for Time to Take 5.
- To get the new Dietary Guidelines for Americans, send your name, address, and $.50 to
Consumer Information Center
Pueblo, CO 81009
Or download from the Internet at http://www.fns.usda.gov/
- President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports
Ask for 10 Tips to Heafthy Eadng and Physical Activity for You.
Send a self-addressed business-sized stamped envelope to
10 Tips for You
P.O. Box 1144
Rockville, MD 20854
Children's Mental Health
- National Mental Health Services Knowledge Exchange Network (for materials and referrals)
- National Institute on Mental Health (for materials)
- National Domestic Violence Hotline
- To get materials for parents and children, call or write
The National Crime Prevention Council
1700 K Street NW
Washington, DC 20006
- CDC National AIDS Hotline
Summer Activities for Boys and Girls
Trying to find sports, camps, or other activities for your child this summer? Ask other parents, call your child's school or your place of worship, or look in your telephone directory. Some more resource ideas follow.
- Department of Parks and Recreation (Blue Pages)
- Recreation Centers (Yellow Pages)
- Youth Organizations and Centers (Yellow Pages)
- Boys Clubs and Girls Clubs
- Camp Fire Girls and Camp Fire Boys
- Boy Scouts of America
- Girl Scouts of the U.S.A.
- Girls Incorporated
- 4-H at your County Extension Office (Blue or White Pages)
- YWCA - Young Women's Christian Association
- YMCA - Young Men's Christian Association