Inside NIDA's Clinical Toolbox Initiative of September, 2000
Letter From Dr. Leshner
Therapy Manuals for Drug Addiction
- NIDA's Therapy Manuals series presents clear, helpful information to aid drug treatment practitioners in providing the best possible care. The therapies presented in the manuals exemplify the best of what is currently known about treating drug addiction. The first three manuals in the series are:
Research Report Series
- NIDA's Research Reports simplify the science of research findings for the educated lay public, legislators, educational groups, and practitioners. The series is updated periodically to reflect current knowledge on drugs of national interest. The Toolkit contains six Research Reports:
Approaches to Drug Abuse Counseling
- The book gives detailed descriptions of 12 counseling approaches currently being used in the United States. It includes contributions from the University of Pennsylvania, Hazeldon Foundation, 12-step counselors at the Betty Ford Clinic, and other respected treatment programs. Target audiences are treatment researchers, clinicians, medical schools, colleges, and universities.
Principles of Drug Addiction Treatment
- The 52-page booklet presents 13 principles of effective drug abuse treatment, answers frequently asked questions, describes categories of treatment programs, and outlines scientifically validated approaches to treating drug addiction.
NIDA Publications Online Ordering
NIDA Web Page Flyer
- The one-page handout describes types of information available at NIDA's Web site: www.drugabuse.gov.
- An article by NIDA's Director, Alan I. Leshner, Ph.D., in JAMA (October 13, 1999) summarizes science-based views on why people use drugs, the nature of addiction, and what constitutes effective treatment for addiction.
NIDA NOTES Subscription Form
- Free subscriptions are available for NIDA NOTES, the Institute's primary vehicle for reporting research news to the drug abuse community nationwide and internationally. NIDA NOTES is published six times each year.
Commonly Abused Drugs Chart
- An 8-1/2" x 11" laminated chart lists the most commonly abused drugs with their commercial and slang names, DEA categories, routes of administration, and short- and long-term effects. Principles of drug addiction treatment are also listed.
Measuring and Improving Cost, Cost-Effectiveness, and Cost-Benefit for Substance Abuse Treatment Programs (Flyer)
- The flyer describes a NIDA manual that takes the mystery out of cost accounting for treatment programs. The methodology presented in the manual is based on a cost-procedure-process-outcome analysis model that has been well researched and tested with substance abuse treatment programs.
The NIDA Community-Based Outreach Model: A Manual To Reduce the Risk of HIV and Other Blood-Borne Infections in Drug Users (Brochure)
- The brochure describes a new NIDA manual that contains step-by-step guidance to help community planners, policymakers, programmers, and service providers to conduct effective outreach programs and reduce the risk of HIV and other blood-borne infections among drug abusers. The NIDA Outreach Model is based on more than 15 years of studies in 50+ communities demonstrating the effectiveness of community-based outreach strategies.