Two new publications that provide research-based information on nicotine addiction were released at NIDA's Addicted to Nicotine Conference in July.
"Nicotine Addiction," an eight-page report, provides the latest information about nicotine and its addictive properties, including:
- how nicotine in tobacco smoke and chewing tobacco affects the body;
- how nicotine tolerance develops over time;
- the medical consequences of nicotine use;
- gender differences in nicotine sensitivity; and
- the risks of smoking during pregnancy.
NIDA Director Dr. Alan I. Leshner presents the new NIDA publication, "Nicotine Addiction," to conference participants.