Women and Drug Abuse
Volume 10, Number 1
About Women, Drug Abuse, and AIDS
- Almost half of all women in their childbearing years, ages 15 to 44, have used illicit drugs at least once in their lives.
- 10.3 million women age 12 and older have used at least one illegal drug in the past year.
- More than 4.4 million women age 12 and older currently use illegal drugs.
- 4 million women have taken prescription drugs nonmedically during the past year.
- An estimated 221,000 women who gave birth in the United States in 1992 used illicit drugs while they were pregnant.
- AIDS is now the fourth leading cause of death among women ages 25 to 44 in the United States.
- More than 34,000--about 67 percent--of the AIDS cases among women are drug related.
- 1993 National Household Survey on Drug Abuse
- NIDA National Pregnancy and Health Survey
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention HIV/AIDS Surveillance Report, June 1994.
From NIDA NOTES, January/February, 1995
[Home Page][NIDA NOTES Index][1995 Archive Index]